Monday, September 29, 2008

Haircuts are like Worship Services

Four weeks ago I embarked on this adventure to the town of Long Branch. In many ways, I still feel like I’m getting used to the water, settling down into the hot tub, slowly adjusting to the temperature change. In other ways, it’s kind of like in college, when you’re taking a shower, and someone in an attempt to be funny, pours a bucket of freezing cold water over the side of the shower and you get shocked awake.

Well, at least coffee’s a constant.

I have been struggling a bit to figure out just what it is I am supposed to do here. I STILL feel unsettled (sensing a theme here?), but the house is almost mine! After chatting with a friend last Friday, I am VERY excited to get the house set up in my style. Of course, if I had a thousand free days and an endless supply of money, it would look just like it does in my head. I guess I’ll have to compromise a bit.

A couple weeks ago I went across the street to the barbershop. I needed a haircut, Katie was coming to town, and honestly, the first thing you need to find when you move to a new place is who is going to cut your hair. So I found Frank.

Frank emigrated from Italy in 1962 when he was 18 years old. Three years later, he opened his shop, and has been there ever since. We got to talking and he told me all about moving here and choosing to become a barber, his Dad who died in Italy during a freak snow storm, all the other things he could have been, etc. etc. It reminded me of something Dr. Dennis said in our Introduction to Ministry Studies class a couple years ago- “The only two people I tell EVERYTHING to are my therapist, and my barber.” What makes the barber such a safe place?

Perhaps it is the intimacy that is created by being so close to another person? Think about the physical closeness that occurs during a haircut. Think also about how awkward it is if neither person is talking! Barbers, like Pastors, need to be good conversationalists, of THAT I am certain! But moreover, getting a haircut is an excellent opportunity to just get to know someone. Now, in this respect, I’m speaking from a strictly male perspective. I have no idea what goes on in a beauty parlor or hair salon. Women- care to weigh in? I have a feeling it is equally as intimate, though stereotypes have played up the “gossiping” aspect of women’s hair dressers more than men’s, but I trust we can move beyond that for now!

I also had the opportunity to meet with the Executive Director of the Long Branch Concordance last week. LBC (www.lbc4help.org) is a non-profit organization that helps people and families find the resources they need. They work with faith based and other organizations throughout Long Branch. It was an exciting conversation, and I am ringing with dreams and visions for ministries that can take place in Long Branch! The friend I spoke with last Friday also mentioned that I should just DREAM! So, I’m making a list of all the things I think could happen here… It makes me excited!

October is going to be a busy month, but I am looking forward to the challenges and opportunities that await me! Might be time for another haircut soon…

No comments: